Course Development and Approval
Developing a Course
- If you wish to develop a new course or revise a course, your first action is to develop a course of study for this new or revised course. You will need to discuss this with the chairperson of your department.
- Review these resources:
- Recommended Curriculum Committee Guidelines for a Course of Study
- The CET website for assistance in writing learning outcomes and the Writing & Speaking Studio for writing new courses of study.
- This Course of Study template (.doc)
- If you are creating a special topics course, please review the Special Topics Operational Guidance page prior to submitting a new special topics course.
- If you are proposing a new course, you must submit it through the CourseLeaf Curriculum Inventory Management (CIM) system for approval.
Please be mindful of the FIT Curricular Calendar when developing a new course.
The workflow for course and program changes is as follows:
- The department chair recommends action on behalf of department.
- The school dean recommends action on behalf of the school.
- The college-wide curriculum committee recommends action.
- The registrar reviews action for Banner input.
- Academic Affairs notifies the chairs and deans of approval.
- The Dean's Council approves.
- Banner and relevant catalog pages are updated.