Policy No: AA003
FIT utilizes a system of grades and grade values to evaluate student performance.
A grade will be awarded at the end of each term by the instructor of record to indicate
a student's academic achievement in a credit-bearing course.
The grading principles outlined in this policy apply to students enrolled in a course, regardless of program or matriculation status. This policy addresses grade assignment, grade changes, grading options, withdrawals, and repeated courses. It also defines the letter grades and values that may be assigned for student work, as well as their meanings and consequences in terms of a student’s grade point average (GPA), transcript, satisfactory academic progress, and academic standing.
This policy also outlines principles for grading when there is insufficient academic attendance and activity on the part of the student, and defines the consequences of such grades for a student’s grade point average and academic progress. In the event a student disputes their final grade in a credit-bearing course, this policy sets forth the procedures for grade appeals and grade changes.
Who is Affected by this Policy
- Employees who may access, review, or steward student records
- Responsible Administrator(s): Vice President for Academic Affairs; Vice President for Enrollment Management and Student Success
- Responsible Office(s): The Office of Academic Affairs; The Office of the Registrar
- Implementation History: Issue Date N/A; Updated August 2019, April 2020, November 2020
- Contact(s): Vice President for Academic Affairs; Office of the Registrar
View Official Policy
AA003, Grading (.pdf)
*This PDF document is the official version of this policy.