Withdrawal & Refund Policies
1. WITHDRAWAL POLICIES
BEFORE INTERVIEW / ADVISEMENT / ACCEPTANCE OFFER
- If you decide to withdraw your application before your interview, you MUST notify the Office of International Programs by email. Your withdrawal will be effective on the day it is received by the Office of International Programs.
AFTER YOU HAVE RETURNED THE ACCEPTANCE LETTER AND COMMITTED TO PARTICIPATING IN THE PROGRAM
- If you decide to withdraw your acceptance after you have agreed to participate and before the beginning of the semester at FIT, you MUST direct your request for withdrawal by email to the department chairperson with a copy to the Residential Director, department's International Advisor and to the FIT Office of International Programs. Your withdrawal from the study-abroad program will be effective on the day it is received by your department chairperson. Once you have agreed to participate in the program FIT cannot guarantee that there will be space for you to register for classes in New York after you withdraw.
- Any charges that FIT has advanced for study abroad on your behalf will remain your financial responsibility.
- If you are receiving Financial Aid, you MUST notify the FIT Director of Financial Aid that you have withdrawn from the program as your award has been calculated anticipating your study abroad.
AFTER YOU AFTER YOU ARRIVE IN ITALY
- If you decide to withdraw from the program after you arrive in Italy, you MUST make an appointment with the Resident Director to discuss your reasons for withdrawal. It is important that your situation be reviewed carefully with the Resident Director as you may be experiencing normal adjustment problems that can be addressed without having to withdraw.
- If you remain decided to withdraw from the program after your discussion with the Resident Director, you must inform her of your decision in writing with a copy to the FIT Director of International Programs and your FIT department chair in New York. Your withdrawal will be effective the day that you advise the Resident Director of your decision in writing.
- You MUST specify if you are withdrawing from the Program in Italy or withdrawing from FIT. This is a very important distinction.
- The Resident Director will advise you of the other obligations that you may be responsible for in Italy. These can include your being required to show that you have met your financial obligations to any landlord, agent or fellow students, for example regarding an apartment you have rented or have committed to share with other students. Italian immigration authorities and the U.S. Consulate will be informed that you are no longer a student in the program.
2. REFUND POLICIES
- Once you commit yourself to participate in the program, plans and services will begin to be made on your behalf. Your FIT account will be charged a $120 administrative fee and $1250 as an FIT in Italy Program fee. It will also be charged for any other expenses which have been incurred in anticipation of your participation, such as your Italian Emergency Health insurance, Italian Residence tax stamps, field trip charges, and temporary housing, etc. If you withdraw after these charges have been incurred on your behalf, there can be no credit or refund.
- The Resident Director will advise you of the other obligations that you may be responsible for in Italy. These can include your being required to show that you have met your financial obligations to any landlord, agent or fellow students, for example regarding an apartment you have rented or have committed to share with other students.
- Established FIT tuition refund policies will be applied to your account as of the date your withdrawal becomes effective.