State Grants

New York State

New York State Excelsior Scholarship 

A New York State Excelsior Scholarship award equals full tuition minus any amounts received for TAP, Pell, or other grants and scholarships.

The Excelsior application is currently closed. Go the the HESC website to sign up to be notified when the application opens again.   

If you are a current Excelsior Scholarship recipient, you do not have to complete the application again; however, ALL recipients and applicants must have a combined federal adjusted gross income of $125,000 or less (2020-2021) and must complete the following: 

  • the FAFSA application for each academic year and
  • the TAP application for each academic year (New York State residents attending NYS schools can link directly to the TAP Application from the FAFSA submission confirmation page)

New FIT students: To determine if you qualify for the New York State Excelsior Scholarship, please go to Excelsior Scholarship Program.  

NYS Dream Act Excelsior applicants can also determine their eligibilty online for the Excelsior Scholarship Program.

For more information regarding the Excelsior Scholarship, see the Excelsior Scholarship FAQ on the HESC website.

New York State Tuition Assistance Program (TAP)

TAP Applications are available for 2021-2022.

The New York State Tuition Assistance Program (TAP) helps eligible New York residents pay tuition at approved schools in New York State. Depending on the academic year in which you begin study, an annual TAP award can be up to $5,165. Because TAP is a grant, it does not have to be paid back.

Determine your eligibility for TAP by visiting New York State Tuition Assitance Program. New York State (NYS) residents attending NYS schools can link directly to the TAP Application from the FAFSA submission confirmation page. 

FIT's New York State Tuition Assistance Program (TAP) Codes are: 

  • Lower Division (all associates degree students) - 2070
  • Upper Division (all bachelor's degree students) - 0975

Full-time eligibility requirements involve three factors:

  1. Satisfactory academic progress
  2. Program pursuit in the previous TAP semester
  3. A minimum of 12 credits fulfilling requirements for your current degree program.

If you fail to meet satisfactory progress or program pursuit, the regulations allow for one waiver during your undergraduate career, if there was an extenuating circumstance. The waiver will become part of your records and you are expected to make satisfactory progress thereafter. The waiver is not automatically given and you must apply and be approved. More detailed information and waiver forms are available at Financial Aid Services, Dubinsky Student Center, A212A. 

For more information on Satisfactory Academic Progress for TAP students:

Educational Opportunity Program (EOP) Grant

EOP grants are available to students who are legal residents of New York State who are educationally disadvantaged as indicated by their high school records and who meet the financial requirements established by the State. Admission to this program is coordinated by EOP, Admissions, and Financial Aid Services.

The Senator José Peralta DREAM Act 

The Senator José Peralta New York State DREAM Act gives undocumented and other students access to New York State‐administered grants and scholarships that support their higher education costs. Please visit the HESC DREAM Act website to view the eligibility requirements for applying under the DREAM Act. 

Aid for Part-Time Study (APTS) 

Eligibility for the Part-Time Study Program is based on New York State regulations. To be eligible, you must be enrolled in 6 -11.5 course credits that are NOT:

  • bridge courses
  • prerequisite courses for lower division
  • admission-conditional courses for upper division
  • courses that ONLY fulfill a requirement for liberal arts minor

If you drop below the required six credits at any point before the grant disburses, you will become ineligible to receive the grant. For more detailed information regarding APTS regulations and eligibility, please visit the New York State Services Corporation (HESC) TAP webpage

Other States

Some states have grant programs that enable a student to receive grant monies for out-of-state programs of study.  We suggest you check with your State Education Department to determine if you qualify for aid from your state of residency. You may find links to your state at NASFAA State Financial Aid Programs.